Peter Zura’s 271 Patent Blog reports on the Congressional testimony [PDF] of the First Vice-President of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) concerning the average cost to prosecute and obtain a patent.
The Average Cost of Preparing a Patent Application:
- To prepare and file an original application of minimal complexity (10 page specification, 10 claims) by a firm the size of Sughrue Mion, PLLC (an IP boutique with over 100 IP professionals) $8,548.00
- Mechanical cases (relatively complex) $11,482.00
- Electrical/computer cases (relatively complex) $13,684
- Biotechnology/chemical cases (relatively complex) $15,398.00
The Average Cost of Filing an Amendment:
- Minimal complexity $2,244.00
- Mechanical case (relatively complex) $3,506.00
- Electrical/computer case (relatively complex) $3,910.00
- Biotechnology/chemical case (relatively complex) $4,448.00
The government fees for those filings are $1,030.00 (unless the Applicant is a small entity).